There are many resources available to assist you with the financial aid process. Below are internal Creighton resources as well as external financial aid resources to help simplify the process. You can also review our Frequently Asked Questions for additional information or watch the Financial Aid TV videos. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need assistance!

Find A Policy

A more detailed discussion of these policies is found in the University Registrar's bulletins. These publications contain the official University statement on the specific policies outlined below.

Academic Scholarship Renewal

If a student receives a scholarship, it is generally renewed by maintaining the required cumulative grade point average associated with the scholarship and making normal academic progress toward a degree. Some scholarships are only for one year or term, and this is explained in the announcement letter. Some scholarship are based on financial need in addition to other criteria, and so the FAFSA needs to be completed each ensuing year to remain eligible for renewal.

Scholarship renewal is reviewed at the end of each spring term for the next academic year’s renewal. Students also receive a warning letter after the fall term if their grade average is below the required renewal level. Specific criteria for eligibility and renewal can be found in your scholarship announcement letter or in the University’s catalogs and bulletins.


Creighton's policy relating to the confidentiality of student records is in keeping with the "Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Information about students or former students will not be released without the consent of the student other than in the exceptions stated in the Federal Act. FERPA affords students with certain rights with respect to their educational records. You can also view FERPA information in the CU Student Handbook.

We understand that many of our students' parents are the responsible party for paying the tuition, but please help us to explain to them that due to the Federal Education Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA) we cannot provide financial or billing detail to them without your express permission. Please go to your NEST web and follow the link to authorize your parents or others to view your information about financial aid, your bill and your grades.

Federal Work Study Program

Learn more about the Federal Work Study Program.

NASFAA Code of Conduct

Please visit the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) site to review the Code of Conduct and Statement of Ethical Principles. All members of Creighton University's Financial Aid staff adhere to the NASFAA Code of Conduct and Ethical Principles.

Refund Policy

The University publishes a calendar each academic year that shows the types and percentages of direct charges which are refundable should a student withdraw during a term. If the withdrawing student received federal student aid, the University follows the guidelines of the U.S. Dept/Educ. on repaying Title IV aid. This is a proportional calculation based on time enrolled during a semester, type of aid received and direct costs. Any student withdrawing from the University impacted by this policy receives a worksheet outlining the steps and the resulting calculation.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

For all students in an undergraduate program, Creighton University administers a time frame for checking satisfactory progress of not more than one academic year which includes Summer, Fall, and Spring terms regardless of the semester in which the student entered.

Creighton University's minimum academic progress requirements are as follows:

At the end of each spring semester, students must have a cumulative pass rate of at least 75 percent for all hours completed versus attempted and have a cumulative grade point average at least equal to the grade level requirement. The minimum GPA requirement is 1.75 for freshmen status and 2.0 for all other grade classifications. Failure to meet these standards will cause immediate termination from all Federal aid programs and University need-based aid programs.

Satisfactory progress will be monitored on a cumulative basis each year at the end of the Spring Semester. Grades of "F", "NP", "UN", incompletes, and withdrawals will not count as credits earned, but will count as credits attempted.

Baccalaureate Degree seeking students in Arts and Sciences, Business, Nursing or College of Professional Studies may receive financial aid for a total of 170 credit hours attempted or until the degree is acquired, whichever comes first. Students in College of Professional Studies seeking an Associate Degree may receive financial aid for a total of 85 credit hours attempted or until the Associate Degree is obtained, whichever comes first. Eligible students in College of Professional Studies seeking a certificate may receive financial aid for a total of 50 credit hours attempted or the course work required to complete the academic program, whichever comes first.



Pass Rate


1.75 (1st year)
2.00 (all others)









1.85 (1st year)
2.00 (all others)





Health Professions



Special Circumstances Requests/Reviews Policy

Creighton University, as allowed by law, considers life changes that occur after the completion of the FAFSA. Special circumstances are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and the university is limited regarding the adjustments that can be made. The Financial Aid Office must have the results of a valid FAFSA prior to any review. If requested documentation is not attached or items are missing, the form may not be processed. As such, if clarification of your situation is necessary, we may request additional information or documentation beyond the requested items below. In most cases, Special Circumstances Requests/Reviews will not be processed until parents have completed their 2020 federal taxes and are able to obtain their 2020 federal tax return transcript.

  • If you estimate that your 2020 and/or 2021 income will be less than your 2019 income reported on the FAFSA due to:
    • loss of employment
    • separation/divorce or death of a parent
    • reduction in work hours/pay, (not including overtime or bonuses)
    • loss of income/benefits, etc.
    • inflated income due to withdrawal of funds to pay for education
    then please provide the following:
    • A separate page explaining the reduction/difference in income.
    • A completed Estimated Yearly Income Form
      (to print the form go to Commonly Used Forms).
    • Applicable third-party documentation supporting the claim (such as copy of final paystub, copy of letter from employer, copy of benefits package, unemployment information, separation agreement, etc.).
    • A copy of your 2019 and 2020 federal tax return transcripts.
    • Copies of all 2019 and 2020 W-2s
    • Copy of the 21/22 Creighton Verification Worksheet(to print the form go to Commonly Used Forms).

Please Note: We cannot accept documentation containing Personally Identifiable Information via email.

Please submit this documentation via U.S. Mail, Fax: 402.280.2895 or JayDrop

  • If you have younger children who are attending private elementary, middle/junior high, or high school and you are paying tuition for them, you may provide us with the amount you are paying out-of-pocket for the 2021-22 academic year on the Creighton Verification Worksheet. Please do not include tuition you are paying for children attending college as that information is reflected on the FAFSA in the household size and number in college section.
  • If you would like to report high out-of-pocket medical expenses (not including premiums or deductibles), please provide a letter of explanation as well as a copy of the 2019 and 2020 federal taxes, including the Schedule A – Itemized Deductions. If you do not itemize your deductions, please provide the information regarding your out-of-pocket medical expenses in a spreadsheet or other detailed format along with any documentation you feel is applicable.

Please note that it is our policy not to consider:

  • a reduction in overtime pay, commission, bonuses, or one-time winnings.
  • projected/estimated income from those who are self-employed (due to lack of official income documents that are able to be provided such as paystubs).
  • Insurance Premiums or deductibles

Study Abroad

Generally speaking, students are allowed to use Federal funds when studying abroad. Every student participating in a Study Abroad program must complete a consortium agreement and submit program costs to the Financial Aid Office the semester prior to departure.

Students paying Creighton University tuition for Study Abroad programs are allowed to receive federal and Creighton institutional funds. The Global Engagement Office determines which programs qualify.


For undergraduate students, we will ask that your parents provide the Financial Aid Office with documentation to support the data they entered on the FAFSA.  Parents are required to submit signed copies of their tax return transcript, W-2 forms and a completed Creighton Aid Verification worksheet (located on the forms page). If we ask for any supporting documents, please respond promptly. Offers of student aid cannot be finalized until verification has been completed. 

Review more about how to verify financial information